About The Greater Cleveland Safety Council
The Greater Cleveland Safety Council (GCSC) is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that operates throughout Northeast Ohio, but primarily focuses on the Greater Cleveland Metropolitan Area. The organization was officially established as a Safety Council in 1919, which makes it one of the oldest Safety Councils in the country and a charter member of the American Association of Safety Councils.
Today, the organization is governed by a Board of Directors selected from member companies and is operated by a professional office staff. The Council's Office and Classroom are located in the Hanna Building in downtown Cleveland at East 14th and Euclid Ave.
The organization encourages safe practices and accident prevention at the workplace, manufacturing facilities, busy highways, and everywhere in between. With these efforts, a number of business and law enforcement officials have thanked our council and our programs for helping to create an atmosphere of safety in the community.
- To benefit members and encourage health & safety throughout the Greater Cleveland Area and beyond.
- To promote and assist community activities designed to decrease the numbers and costs of industrial, public, highway, and home accidents.
- To conduct community programs and activities relating to public safety, industrial safety, and a general campaign of public education.
- To ascertain the number and causes of accidents, how they could have been prevented, and recommend measures to prevent repetition.
- To encourage safety procedures and practices in industries, schools, homes, and on the roads & highways.
- To maintain a library of resources and offer assistance with employee-safety organizations and community campaigns.
- To maintain an active Speakers' Bureau with staff and volunteers.
Board of Directors: Executive Officers
Daniel J. Neubert
Vice President Treasurer
Tom J. Neff
Executive Vice President Secretary
Thomas J. Rabe
Greater Cleveland Safety Council
First Vice President
Michael S. Procuk Village of Brooklyn Heights Mayor
Vice President General Counsel
Immediate Past President
Second Vice President Phyllis Hill
U.S. Department of Defense,
Board of Directors: Members
Kenneth J. Alvey
Lake Erie Marine
Great Lakes Construction Company
Mack G. Thomas
NASA Glenn Research Center
Community & Media Relations
Richard W. Czeck
Greater Cleveland Regional
Director of Safety
Sandra G. Monday CHST
City of Cleveland
Northern Ohio Chapter of American Society of Safety Engineers
Coit Services of Ohio
James J. Presot
North Royalton City Schools
Thomas J. Rabe
Executive Vice President